Moving Interstate Checklist
Moving can be a stressful time. Moving interstate can be even more stressful due to the longer distances involved. But it doesn’t have to be. The stress and anxiety of moving interstate can be minimised by following a few simple steps.
When planning your move, the sooner you start to plan and pack the less headaches there will be upon arriving at your new home.
Remember the old adage by Winston Churchill – “….who fails to plan is planning to fail”.
Let’s look at an ideal scenario where you have 4-6 weeks’ notice for your move.
Four to Six Weeks Before Moving Interstate
- Print off the Moving Interstate Checklist. Give a copy to everyone in the household plus pop one on the fridge.
- Work out what you want to keep and take with you
- Contact removalist to schedule moving date
- Start collecting boxes and packaging material
- Organise for the collection of any dental, medical and even vet records
- Notify the school and collect any records or references
- Arrange connection of new services to your new place (power, water, gas, phone, internet, pay TV)
- Pay any outstanding bills and make sure the billers are aware of the move, cancel any if necessary
- Book cleaners if need be, the small cost is worth it, especially for your condition report if you are renting
- Start using up the frozen foods in the freezer
- Research supermarkets, schools, sporting clubs, public transport in your new area
Two to Three Weeks Before Move
- Review your moving interstate checklist
- Notify everyone about your change of address
- Start sorting, packing and labeling items that are not used very often
- Donate, advertise or have a garage sale to sell items that you don’t want/need
- Arrange storage for excess items if need be
- Disassemble any furniture that can be disassembled. Place screws etc into clearly labeled containers
- Organise rubbish removal for items that can’t be recycled or donated (check with your local council to see if they have a pick up before you move or a free drop off)
- Return any borrowed items, be it from the library, video store or Ned next door
- Organise pets transport or boarding arrangements
- Book your mail redirection and cancel any subscriptions
- Cancel any bank accounts and open new ones if you have to
- Service the car and other machinery. Drain fluids to avoid leaks in transport.
- Retrieve any prescriptions and ensure everyone has enough medication
- Take out the appropriate insurances
Last Week Before Move
- Have a box or bag with your valuables to keep with you on moving day
- Confirm times with removalists, real estate agents, solicitors, property managers
- Collect all the spare keys in preparation to hand them over on moving day (don’t forget the mailbox keys if you have a lock on it)
- Make sure all the remotes for the gates, doors, building, air conditioners and other devices are left in the one spot
- Back up computer
- Make sure anything you have stored in the roof space, attic, under the house is packed and not forgotten
- Organise for final reading for the services (gas, water and electricity)
- Give the bins a hose out after they have been collected
- Mow the lawns, weed and trim hedges/trees back
On the Day
- Check all the cupboards, under and on top of. Check in the roof space and underneath the house
- Turn off all the taps, heaters, lights and air conditioners
- Say goodbye to the neighbours
After The Move
- Change driver’s license, electoral roll and Medicare
- Organise for the collection of used cartons
- Say “hello” to the new neighbours
Avoid unnecessary stress and anxiety when you are moving interstate by using Acrobackloading’s Moving Interstate Checklist to ensure all the boxes are ticked (and packed) on move day.
Download your copy of the Acrobackloading Moving Interstate Checklist.
For more information and tips check out these websites:
- How to Declutter Your Life
- How to Choose the Right Removalist
- Advice For Moving Day On Settlement Day
- What You Need To Do Before Your Removal Team Arrives
- 10 Easy Tips To De-stress Your Move
- Moving Interstate: Things you need to know.
- 7 Ways to Save Money When Moving House
- The 7 Benefits of Module Storage with Acrobat
- Storage Modules Versus Other Methods of Storage
- De-clutter Your Life (Through the eyes of a woman)
- Moving On The Cheap = Damages + Injuries & No Friends
- 6 Reasons Storage Modules can Make Your Life Easier.
- Interstate Removals – Sydney to the Gold Coast
- The Difference Between Cheap and More Expensive Removalists
- Moving Office Checklist
- To Do List: Before you move into your new home.
- Acrobat Removals – Sharing the Road
- Moving Interstate Checklist
- Module Storage, it’s a no-brainer!
- Archive Storage; The Acrobat Solution
- THE 2 “P” WORDS TO REMEMBER LEADING UP TO YOUR MOVE
- How to Chose a Removalist
- Storage Needs for Apartment Living
- Preparing Your Whitegoods for Removal
- Selecting The Best Newcastle Removalist
- The Stress of Moving
- The Way I Used to Move
- Re-discovering Newcastle
- Packing Tips for Moving Home